The FCA released guidance for consumers on the tactics scammers use to extract money and personal details through alleged high-return or 'good cause' investment schemes, advance fee fraud, or phony credit and insurance claims.
- check who they're dealing with
- reject unsolicited offers
- don't click on unrecognised links
- beware adverts on social media
- never give out personal details
Consumers can report scams to the FCA's Consumer helpline.
Scammers are sophisticated, opportunistic and will try to get personal details or money from victims in many ways. They tend to target people who are more vulnerable or susceptible to being scammed, particularly in the current climate with many more people being at home.